Friday, August 26, 2011

Pictures on Canvas


I had these old pin up girl pictures that I wanted to use as decorations. I originally wanted to frame them, but that would be very costly. I decided to put them on canvas and use Mod Podge on top. I saw this great tutorial that explained precisely how to do it.
I went to Michael's and got supplies


  • Mod Podge - Gloss
  • Canvas - size depends on picture size. They were on sale for $4 each!
  • Acrylic Paint - I used black
  • Foam Brush - the cheap 39 cents kind
  • Pictures you want to put on the canvas
  • Book - for support under the canvas
1. Chop the picture down to size. I like to leave a bit of space around the side so I cut off about 1/8" on each side of the pic.

2. Paint the canvas. I just paint the edges and any other parts that will be showing. No need to waste paint if it is not going to be seen. Let it dry about 15 minutes, or whatever the bottle of paint says.


3. Apply Mod Podge to the top of the canvas and place the picture on top. Smooth it out with your hands for a couple minutes to prevent bubbling. I learned this the hard way. Put a book under the canvas right inside the wood panels so when you push on the canvas you do not stretch it and you have something to push against. I would keep at this until you think the Mod Podge is dry. I hate bubbling so I wait and smooth for a while. If you are patient enough and press out the bubbles while letting it thoroughly dry before putting Mod Podge then there is less of a chance of extreme bubbling.


4. With a dry brush add an edge to the picture so it blends into the painted canvas. Since the pictures were paintings I made the edge look rough and uneven.


5. When the picture looks dry and bubble-less apply a coat of Mod Podge to the top and let dry. If you have let the picture dry long enough before putting Mod Podge on top then there should not be any bubbles.


6. If you are rushing or just unlucky then you may get some bubbles.Try not to touch it when it is wet because then you may leave a mark. Just let it bubble for a couple minutes and then put books on top of it for a couple hours. I have heard that putting it face down on wax paper (and then putting books on top) is the best way to prevent sticking. Leave the books on and check it every once in a while to see when it is flat.


6. It is done when dry and bubble-less. You can add another layer of Mod Podge if desired.


 Here are two of the nine I am making. I will upload a picture when I am done! If you have any questions leave a comment.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment